There are several characteristics to the lip anatomy which adds to the attractiveness of the lip, however the attractiveness of these characteristics are also are dependent upon other features of the facial anatomy to ensure that the proportions are not distorted.
Before / After
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What can lip augmentation treatment achieve?
- Enhance pout
- Define Cupid’s bow & philtrum ridges
- Increase volume of lip
- Balance the proportion of upper and lower lip
- Support corners of mouth
How much filler will I need ?
The volume of filler is dependent upon the level of correction and/or volume and this will be discussed at your consultation, it is not helpful to bring photographs of other people’s lips as anatomy can vary.
Can I have more than one Syringe at one time ?
Not initially, it is important to monitor how your lips react to the lip filler, although the Hyalauronic Acid filler is very natural and safe it is still a foreign body impalanted into the lip and this can cause reactions.
What are the risks and complications of lip Augmentation ?
The complications from lip filler are generally temporary and expected
- Swelling this can be immediate or after several hours and can vary in length and severity it is an expected complication but this swelling if extreme can move the filler resulting in an uneven result. Over the counter anti-histamine and regular use of ice to the treated area (ice should not be applied directly to the skin and should not exceed 10 minuted application in any one hour period.
- Bruising can be extensive and can take up to ten days to disappear this is due to the lips being vascular (blood supply) it is impossible to prevent bruising to some degree but avoiding alcohol and certain medicine Aspirin and Ibuprofen will help as these thin the blood. Again using ice will help. Oral arnica tablets can be helpful and can be taken 1-2 weeks prior to the procedure to prevent bruising, arnica cream can also be helpful.
- Infection is very rare but the mouth area is full of bacteria it is important that you do not touch the treated area without washing your hands and also that you avoid make-up for at least 6 hours post treatment. If infection does occur it may be necessary to be prescribed a short course of antibiotics.
- Herpes (cold sore) having a lip filler will not cause you to contract the cold sore virus, but those individuals who are already infected with the virus are at risk from the procedure, as the injury caused by the needle can stimulate the virus and/or increase the risk of spreading the virus over the lip area. Using Acyclovir Ointment for a few day before can be helpful but if you are particularly prone to outbreaks Acyclovir Tablets can be prescribed to take 5 days prior to the procedure.
- Occlusion of blood vessels, this is very rare and can occur during the procedure a skilled and relevantly qualified professional will recognise this and will instigate emergency procedures to dissolve the filler and also to provide aftercare and monitoring of the affected area. The vessels can also be compressed as the filler can increase in volume in the lips again this is incredibly rare but the signs of this will be discussed with you at your consultation and the filler can be dissolved.
Can you guarantee that my lips will be symmetrical ?
No every effort will be made to ensure that the lips look symmetrical and in proportion but in the event that a problem occurs, additional treatment can be offered at cost or uneven areas dissolved with Hylase to correct, this does not necessarily dissolve all of the filler but can be used to soften particular areas.
I have heard that people have visible lumps on the lips ?
Most of the time this occurs from poor technique but sometimes it is due to the delicate tissue of the lip and the filler can migrate. Usually firm massage can correct this issue but occasionally correction by dissolving the lump is required, please note I do not charge to correct my work with Hylase.
I have had my lips treated at another practice can I have them corrected ?
I undertake corrective work but require copies of your medical notes before I can correct to ensure that the product injected is compatible.